Friday, August 1, 2008

Building on...something

The intent of this blog is to journal the progress of my work; perhaps to give
others a better understanding of what is involved in making at least my work. I
haven’t posted anything because I do not yet have any recent visual progress.
However, I forgot that the art process, at least for me, begins well before
paint touches canvas or whatever surface I choose.
My works most often is in some respect, a means of visually/conceptually
wrestling with something that impact my own life. If it is successful, it will
transcend my own experience to speak to others in their own experiences and
offer them the opportunity to wrestle/explore/gain understanding in their own
experience.
I admit that I’ve been absolutely clueless aboout what to do next. Well,
beyond increasing invovlement between the artwork and the particpant. I have
plenty of things going on in and around my life worth struggling with in my
work, but I don't know where to start.
I think that I have kept myself “too busy” for so long that I’ve
“forgotten” how to connect my life with my canvas. The ideas I’ve had have
been too force, too stale. They strike me as interesting, but really they lack
depth and I lose interest.

Recently there has been stuff going one that I definitely have many questions
about. Things that I have trouble fully expressing in words and perhaps best
communicate through private prayer.
Yet, though my mind and heart are grappling for understanding, for some cosmos
that may yet be uncovered through art, I didn’t even know where to start as
far as imagery. Really, anything I did seemed to demean the reality I am facing
and the only way I felt I could express truth was the prayer of tears.
Then, today, I came upon a vacant dry grass lot and condemned houses on fire. I
think that the images I’ve taken of the smoldering fire will be used in my
work, somehow. It’s really a continuation of a previous piece. Fire is highly
symbolic, but I’ve been careful to not make the imagery clique. We will see.

No comments: